This year, 15 representatives from 11 different tourism industry entities were able to join us. These media blitzes (as we like to call them) are a service provided by the Oklahoma Tourism and Recreation Department meant to help industry partners promote their tourism destination or event by facilitating face-to-face marketing communication with media outlets throughout our region.
Our goals for the media briefings were to:
- Build and enhance relationships with travel writers and various media outlets.
- Generate awareness of the OTRD and its statewide tourism industry partners as resources for media seeking assistance and story ideas for Oklahoma-based coverage.
- Increase interest in Oklahoma as a travel destination.
- Create stronger working relations between industry partners and OTRD.
During the media blitz, we were able to visit 11 cities in four states, with immediate leads resulting from several meetings. We briefed more than 30 media outlets, of which you’ll find a complete list below:
Wichita Falls, TX
- Times Record News
- GAP Broadcasting (KBZS, KNIN, KWFS)
Ft. Worth, TX
- Virtuoso Magazine
- American Way Magazine
- Celebrated Living Magazine
- Nexos Magazine
- Fort Worth Star Telegram
- Country Legends/Fort Worth Broadcasting (KTFW, KFWR, KRVF, KRVA)
- Dallas Morning News
- Cowboys and Indians Magazine
- Southwest Airlines Spirit
- Clear Channel Radio (KZPS & KDGE)
- Cumulus Broadcasting (KDBN, KLIF, KPLX, & KTLK)
- Zimmer Radio (KXDG, KIXQ, KJMK, KZRG & KZYM)
- Joplin Globe
- Boomer Magazine
- Clear Channel Radio (KGBX, KGMY & KXUS)
- 417 Magazine
- Springfield News Leader
- Northwest Arkansas Times
- Cumulus Radio (KAMO, KMCK, KYNG, KFAY, KQSM, KKEG & KYNF)
- Citiscapes Metro Monthly Magazine
Fort Smith, AR
- Cumulus Radio Stations (KOMS, KBBQ, KLSZ & KAYR)
- Clear Channel Radio (KKBD, KMAG, KWHN, KYHN & KZRB)
- Times Record
- Wichita Eagle
- Connoisseur Media (KVWF, KIBB)
- Active Aging
- Cumulus Radio (KMAJ, KDVV, KTOP, KQTP & KWIC)
- Topeka Capitol Journal
- Grit Magazine
- Lawrence Journal-World
Kansas City, MO
- Kansas City Star
- Wilks Broadcasting (KBEQ, KMXV & KSRC)
- KC Hispanic News
- Her Life Magazine
These briefings take a lot of work in planning, hitting the road, and following up on leads once we’re back home, but it is paying off. Within the first week of appointments, participants on the blitzes were already getting media requests from several of the contacts we met on the road. Package getaways for radio stations in Fort Worth, Kansas City, and Fort Smith have already been arranged while interest in print publications in Topeka, Fayetteville and other cities have called hoping to follow up with story ideas we pitched to them during the blitzes.
In addition to this year’s briefings, media inquiries continue to come in year-round from contacts we’ve made on previous blitzes. This means Oklahoma tourism stories are continuing to stay top of mind for reporters and they view our department and industry partners as great resources for editorial and promotional opportunities.
If you’re interested in joining us for next year’s round of Media Blitzes, stay tuned to this blog and our industry e-mails. Sign up typically begins in February.